Create a Dolibarr local community
From Dolibarr Wiki
This page is a guide line to help local user groups to build their own community around Dolibarr project.
All following things are required to start to manage a local Dolibarr users' group or community. Please do all of this, in same order than provided here. If you want to work into an international project, you must also accept rules, and this order is one of this stupid rule (but not so stupid for us):
0) Check a community for the couple (country/language) you plan to create must not already exists. If it does, try to join the existing community instead.
1) You must be a local foundation, or group of friends knowing open source softwares, or a local company.
2) Ask an account onto this wiki (ask to email@example.com providing your login, lastname, firstname and email). Then login to create a page specific with page name that is your personal name (firstname lastname, not your company or foundation name).
For this, once login on this wiki, go on page Firstname Lastname and change URL with your own firstname and lastname, and click on button "Create" after submitting new URL. Then, you can make a copy and paste of content of page Firstname Lastname and replace content with your own personal information. Fill paragraph "Other informations / Autres informations / Otra información" to tell what you did or plan to do for Dolibarr. The goal of this is to have a card inside this wiki whose goal is to provide information on all Dolibarr actors. It's also the first time you provide structured and public information to main Dolibarr team (the Dolibarr foundation board team) to let us know you exists.
Also, submit a photo of yourself as a png file from a file that must be named "Firstname Lastname.png" (submit link is link "Upload file" on left menu of this wiki).
(Note: if you receive an antispam message about your web url, add a space between your hostname and first level domain name).
3) If you are a company or a foundation using Dolibarr: Add your company name to the following pages List of Dolibarr users
(Note: if you receive an antispam message about your web url, add a space between your hostname and first level domain name).
4) If you are a company: Add your name into the category "Other partners" for your country on the page: List of Dolibarr partners and providers (send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org if page for your country does not exists).
5) Check translation for the language of your country is completed and accurate. If not, this is the next step to work on. So send us translations at email@example.com (See also page Translator documentation to know how to fix the translation manually with the firefox plugin).
6) Next step is to check the default setup provided by last version of Dolibarr is complete for your country (list of vat rates, list of states). If not, send us SQL requests to have setup complete into Dolibarr sources installer (See all files into htdocs\install\mysql\data, complete them for your country and send modified files to firstname.lastname@example.org).
7) Take a look at the wikipedia project for your language. If no page exists for Dolibarr project, try to add it. Just cut, paste and translate content of english page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolibarr) into a new page of wikipedia for your language. If a page already exists, try to complete content to match english page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolibarr) and fix typo/translation errors.
8) Now, you can create a dedicated web site for your country called the "Dolibarr XXX portal" where XXX is your country. You can use tool of your choice for that. We recommend however Joomla as it is CMS used for other existing Dolibarr portals. This might be an important work. Also, if using Joomla, you will be able to reuse the same template than dolibarr.org portal. Joomla template for Joomla 1.5.* is available into GIT repository: Git links available on page https://github.com/DolibarrFoundation/foundation (into dir "joomla").
9) The logo used on your web portal must match the logo found on dolibarr.org but should contains the name of the country/community under it. For example, for France, logo should contains France under it like found into http://www.dolibarr.fr
Having too many different Dolibarr with different looks may create a threat for customers thinking there is a parallel different project. In fact it's same. So having a logo that looks like "Dolibarr Mycountry" says customer it's not another different project with same name, but the same, just declined for Mycountry.
10) Put on top of your "Dolibarr XXX portal", a link with flags to others majors communities (for the moment, link to international web site http://www.dolibarr.org, french portal http://www.dolibarr.fr and spanish portal http://www.dolibarr.es).
11) If you don't plan to animate a dedicated social networks, add, on front page of your portal web site, links to official (english) Dolibarr social Networks. You will find list of links on page FAQ How to be informed on news about Dolibarr project ?. Using a box "Social Networks" like the one found on http://www.dolibarr.org is a good thing. If you want to animate your own local social Networks, you can replace international links with yours, but try to always keep a link at least for "Facebook", "Twitter" and "Google+" (use english links if you don't covers them for your language). The Dolibarr foundation will also edit the dolibarr.org portal to add link into "local communities" box.
12) If you don't plan to animate a dedicated forum (it is better having no forum than having a forum you don't answer), add a link to official (english) Dolibarr forum (http://dolibarr.org/forum) with text "Forum (english only)".
13) Add a google analytics tag into all of your portal pages. Then add the dolibarr foundation email (email@example.com) to be allowed to have read only access on Google analytics views or setup your Google analytics to send monthly reports to the foundation Google analytics account (firstname.lastname@example.org). Note: To share a readonly access to statistics of a site, go onto home statistics page of this site into google analytics, then click onto the linke "Admin" on top bar on the left. Then click on tab "Users" and add email@example.com as a new user.
14) If you are a foundation only: Install Dolibarr to manage your members and create a generic account for international foundation and sent it to firstname.lastname@example.org (you will probably start with only two or three members, we started like this too !).
15) Once all steps are done, this means you are ready to animate your community (see next chapter). Let us know by email to email@example.com (Note: sending us email more frequently to show us where you are is better). We will check your online site, and if the foundation owns the TLD domain dolibarr.xx for your country, we will make (if all previous steps are ok) a redirected for the domaine name to your web site. If domain name for your country is not owned by foundation yet, you can buy it by yourself. If already owned by someone else, the foundation can provide you a domain like xx.dolibarr.org with xx your country code.
Once all previous steps are done, you are then free to animate your community like you want.
Do all actions you want to do in the way you want. This is some ideas :
- Man stands into congress (For example: french community presents Dolibarr into Salon_Solution_Linux_2010, Salon_Solution_Linux_2011).
- Create social networks groups, promote them and publish on them.
- Organize Barcamp or devcamp (For example: Compte_rendu_Hackweek_2010).
- There is no bad idea (only efficient or not)...
To help you for such tasks, you can use all materials provided by the Dolibarr foundation and available at GitHub repository (Git links available on page https://github.com/DolibarrFoundation/foundation)
You will find rollups, flyers, logos, business cards, etc you can use.
You are free to animate your community like you want. But following this list of advices is recommanded to have your community growing.
- Translate all resources you can find into the foundation GIT repository (Git links available on page https://github.com/DolibarrFoundation/foundation), like SVG files used to create logos, rollups or business cards for your language. You can then use them into congress, forums, trade show or put them into show rooms or your web site.
This is the two important point to have a big community :
- Post a lot of news onto local web sites, magazines for your country: the more you promote Dolibarr, the more you will get new users, new partners (or new customers if you are a company). When such news appears on a major media, tell us (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Man a stand into Opensource congress or forums: This is a very good way to have fun and to make Dolibarr growing into your country. If you do so (it's one of the most interesting and efficient thing to do), please create a page into this wiki with photo (example: Salon_Solution_Linux_2010). Report page into this wiki should be in English but if you host your own report page, with photos, into your language, send us a link (we will add a link at appropriate place into Dolibarr web sites).
When all things into chapter "Things required" are completed, if you are a company you may also apply to be a Preferred Partner. See Dolibarr Preferred Partner. It will also be a good thing if you are yourself a member of internationnal Dolibarr foundation. See page Subscribe.
- Use Dolibarr logo on your web site (However, it is recommanded to add the name of the country under the logo to clearly show your are a local community affiliated to internationnal one).
- Use any materials provided by Dolibarr foundation and available into GitHub repository (Git links available on page https://github.com/DolibarrFoundation/foundation). You will find rollups, flyers, guides, logos, templates, etc. You can translate or use them for your need.
- Use any other tools of your choice to animate your community (video, wiki, etc...)
- Add your own Google Adwords tags (but ads must be limited to 2 by pages). All gains are yours. The more you promote Dolibarr (see previous chapter, the more you will increase traffic and the more you will earn).
- Add links to any other Dolibarr web site (local or international) like the download central page: http://www.dolibarr.org/download/ , forum or any other pages
- Post news (english language only) onto official Dolibarr mailing-lists (user, dev) to annouce availability of your community.
- Represent Dolibarr into congress, show rooms with no need to ask anything to the Dolibarr foundation.
- Create and sells goodies. Revenues are yours.
- Use your community tools to promote some commercial services (such services must however all be related to Dolibarr), except SaaS/Cloud hosting services (there is always official SaaS/Cloud international hosting services so no need to add more/yours).
- Drink beers with all Dolibarr friends (but not too much).
- A community portal content must be into main language of your community and only main language (you can build a multi-language portal if your country has several dialect, what is important is not provide a couple (language/country) already covered by another portal). If you want to offer visibility to another couple (country/language), you must instead refer to links to existing portal that manage this couple.
- Publishing news (online or press) into English that point to your local web site: If you publish a news into English, you can, but link must point to www.dolibarr.org. To publish news that link to your web site, you must publish a content that is in same language than your web site.
- Use community tools of your country (portal or social network) to promote your own SaaS/Cloud hosting services. If you have yours, it must be on a different portal, with a different name (For example "DoliSaas, a web hosting service of Dolibarr"). Don't forget that a community portal serve project, not your business (even if it helps), and this are two different things. You can have links between each other, have crossed promote texts, except for SaaS/Cloud hosting as there is already official SaaS/Cloud international hosting services, so no need to promote more/yours. If have your hosting offer, create another web site, and avoid to promote it on community portal.
- Using more than 2 ads on a Dolibarr local community portal page is forbidden.
What happens if prerequisites are no more covered ?
Dolibarr is free, everybody too, so you can still decide to discard prerequistes or do forbidden things. We will not fight against your freedom, but keep in mind:
- The trademark "Dolibarr" is a registered trademark, registered to protect the project. Do not use it to deserve project.
- Dolibarr local communities are attractive because they are legitimated by all others:
Dolibarr project is promoted by local communities like local portals are promoted by all others, including the Dolibarr foundation and all Dolibarr tools (the main international portal, the wiki documentation, the official dolistore.com market place, the doliforge.org external module development forge) but also by some pages inside software itself, or from a lot of other resources. The foundation may remove all backlinks toward your portal, to promote instead another team/community that does not deserve project. Local communities are strong when project is strong and project is strong when local communities are too, so every body sharing same destiny, this should never happen.